Tuesday, January 7, 2014

January 6, 2014 2 years and counting......

"Good morning Mom, do you remember what happened 2 years ago today?"

Yes Sarah, it is a date I will never forget........
We started that fateful day with an appointment with an infectious disease doctor, as we had been told Sarah had lyme disease.  After a look at Sarah's crossing eye's the night before, our wonderful eye doctor insisted we investigate further.  In our quest for answers, Sarah was finally sent for an MRI.  As we were getting back in the car, we got "the call"  go straight to Overlook hospital, a Neuro team is waiting.  The journey began; tests, scans, biopsy, more tests, IV steroids to control the swelling in my baby's brain.  I sat next to her when she was awake, trying to calm her fears, when she slept I walked the halls, crying and praying that my child would not die.  After a week in the Neuro ICU, the diagnosis was given, CANCER, very rare, very serious, very scary!












Well, here we are 2 years later: six rounds of Chemo, too many medications to count, stem-cell transplant, quarterly scans, and a happy and healthy strong young woman to show for all that agony.


So you see Sarah, I will never forget that day, or any of the 730 days that followed, they are engraved in my memory and in my heart.  I am thankful everyday that you were strong enough to fight this awful disease, and that I was strong enough to fight for you when you wanted to give up.

Cancer changed all of us, Sarah, Zen, Greg and me.  I hope we have changed for the better, able to appreciate each other, and everyday that we have together.

Sarah's message to all:
KNOW your body, if you don't feel right find a doctor who will listen.  Don't give up until you get real answers,  your life may depend on it!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment